What You Can Borrow Beyond Books
Borrowing Beyond Books
The Upper Dublin Public Library (UDPL) loans a variety of Circulating Tech. Circulating Tech
is an extension of the UDPL STEAM Lab, enabling borrowers to experiment at home or on the
Borrowing Eligibility and Requirements
- Members must be 18 years or older with a valid library account in good standing.
- Parent/guardians may check out devices for supervised use by children under 18.
- One tool per card per checkout.
- Checked out for one week and may be renewed if no one is waiting.
- Circulating Tech must be returned to the UDPL, and to avoid damage, it is recommended that items be returned to a staff member rather than in a book return.
- Failure to return the device on time will result in fines assessed at $5/day.
- The borrower is responsible for preventing damage to or theft of the Library’s Circulating Tech.
- Notify staff immediately of any problem with a Circulating Tech tool.
- A borrower may be held responsible for the cost of a damaged or lost item or items, and charges may incur based on replacement value not to exceed $500.
- The Library reserves the right to assess other charges for damage as necessary.
See additional instructions for use provided with each Circulating Tech. For more information, please see our Circulating Tech Policy.
It depends on your device. For the Overdrive app on iDevice or Android, including Kindle Fire: find the cover of the book, tap and hold until you get a menu which will give you the option to return early and delete. For the Kindle Reader, it is located in your Amazon account under Manage your Device. Find the book and click the “…” for options to return early. For more information, check out this article from Overdrive.
The Upper Dublin Public Library maintains collections that celebrate the languages, cultures, and traditions of countries worldwide. Designed to serve Upper Dublin’s growing immigrant population as well as enrich the entire community, the collections for children and teens (funded, in part, with School District Title III federal funds–part of the No Child Left Behind Act) feature books, dictionaries, DVDs, international cookbooks, bilingual books, and books on various religions and cultures.
For adults, the Library now has fiction and nonfiction books in Chinese, Korean, Hebrew and Spanish. For those learning a new language, don’t miss the library’s language learning tool: Mango. Bonus: Learn American English in your native language with Mango as well.
Take a puzzle, leave a puzzle. Come into Upper Dublin Library with your gently used puzzles and leave with new-to-you puzzles. Children’s puzzles welcome. Free! All puzzles as-is.
Puzzles are on top of the new non-fiction stacks.
Measure the energy consumption in your home and cut down on your electric bills by checking out one of the Library’s Kill a Watt meters!
Electricity bill are rising. Now you can cut down on costs and find out what appliances are actually worth keeping plugged in. Simply connect these appliances to the Kill A Watt™, and it will assess how efficient they really are. Large LCD display will count consumption by the Kilowatt-hour, same as your local utility. You can calculate your electrical expenses by the day, week, month, even an entire year. Also check the quality of your power by monitoring Voltage, Line Frequency, and Power Factor. Now you´ll know if it is time for a new refrigerator or if that old air conditioner is still saving you money. With the amazing Kill A Watt™ you´ll know “Watts” killing you.”
–from P3 International, maker of the Kill a Watt meters
For more information, see our Borrowing Instructions for Special Collections policy.
To reserve museum passes or see what’s available,
please visit our Museum Pass page.
Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Upper Dublin Public Library, you can experience history & nature hands on when you check out one of the Library’s museum/arboreta membership passes. For more information, see our Borrowing Instructions for Special Collections policy.
Academy of Natural Sciences
“America’s oldest natural history museum and a world leader in biodiversity and environmental research.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for up to 2 adults and 5 children & 10% discount in the Academy Shop & Café.
African American Museum Philadelphia
“Experience the richness and vibrancy of African American heritage and culture come alive.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for up to 6 people. 10% discount in the Museum Shop.
Bucks County Children’s Museum
“fun, interactive and educational environment for children, parents and schools with exhibits that reflect Bucks County’s unique history and culture.”
- Privileges include: Admission for up to 6 people. 10% off at Busy Bee Toy Store
Located in Wayne, PA, Chanticleer is comparable to Longwood Gardens in size.
- Privileges Include: Admission for four people.
Elmwood Park Zoo
A zoo in Norristown, PA that focuses on the wildlife of North & South America. Kid friendly!
- Privileges Include: Admission to 2 adults and six children. 10% discount at the Lenore Weiss Nature Shop and the Cougar Café.
- EXTRA! Discount tickets also available through Upper Dublin Parks & Recreation
“Outstanding collection of medieval and ancient objects.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and all children under 18 years of age in the same household.
Moravian Pottery & Tile Works
“A “working history” museum…Handmade tiles are still produced in a manner similar to that developed by the pottery’s founder and builder, Henry Chapman Mercer”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and all children under the age of 18 years of age in the same household.
Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
“A romantic, 92-acre, Victorian landscape garden of winding paths, streams, flowers and special garden areas.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for up to 2 adults and four children. 10% discount on gift shoppurchases and additional discounts at local retailers. Reciprocal admission to more than 200 gardens and arboreta within the United States. See Reciprocal Admissions Program.
Museum of the American Revolution
“explores the dynamic story of the American Revolution”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 Adults, 4 children ages 6-17 years (5 and below free); 10% off at the Museum Store and 10% off at the Cross Keys Cafe.
National Constitution Center
Located in historic Philadelphia, the Center was created to “disseminate information about the United States Constitution.”
- Privileges Include: Free admission for 2 adults & 4 children. 10% discount in the Museum Shop
National Liberty Museum
“A unique tribute to freedom in the heart of historic Philadelphia”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and your children. 10% discount on gift shop purchases and at select Philadelphia Restaurants (listed on the pass).
National Museum of American Jewish History
“…presents educational programs and experiences that preserve, explore, and celebrate the history of Jews in America.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and all children under 21 years old. 10% discount in the Museum Shop.
Pearl S. Buck House
“Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning author’s circa 1825 farmhouse and intact collection on a picturesque 68-acre estate.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and all children under 18 years of age in the same household. 10% discount off your purchase at the gift shop.
Penn Museum: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
“Share in the ongoing discovery of humankind’s collective heritage.“
- Privileges Include: Admission for up to 2 adults and all minor children. 10% discount on gift shop purchases. 30% discount on Penn Museum publications. Additional discounts on special programs, such as 40 Winks with the Sphinx Sleepover.
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
“internationally known for its collections of 19th- and 20th-century American paintings, sculptures, and works on paper.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and four children.
Simeone Automotive Museum
“Over 60 of the rarest and significant racing sports cars ever built.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and 3 children. 10% discount on gift shop merchandise.
Woodmere Art Museum
“Tells the story of Philadelphia’s art and artists through a broad range of exhibitions, music events, classes, lectures, and programs.”
- Privileges Include: Admission for 2 adults and any children. 10% discount at the Museum Store and free admission to special exhibitions.
Comprised of books and DVDS, this collection features topics relevant to raising and educating children. Specific topics include: developing reading skills, student issues, health and communicating. The Parent/Teacher Collection also contains picture books that can be used to help children deal with difficult issues, such as war, divorce, or death.
Enjoy popular audiobooks without being tied to a CD player. Playaways are audiobooks that come pre-loaded on a small device & can be checked out from the library. Headphones and a AAA battery required. For more information, see our Borrowing Instructions for Special Collections policy.
The Upper Dublin Public Library stocks multiple copies of these titles for all grades throughout the year to support these important educational programs.
Take your internet on the go! At Upper Dublin Library, you may check out t-mobile hotspots, which will give you internet anywhere that is served by T-mobile, including your home, parks, airports, hotels or on the road. All patrons who check out a hotspot must produce library card or ID before checking out.
Hotspot quick facts:
- 7 day check out. Renewable and reservable through
- $20 a day overdue.
- Return in the Upper Dublin Library. Items returned to another library will be assessed the overdue fee.
Upper Dublin Public Library’s collection includes video games. These video games are compatible with the following game systems: Sony’s PlayStation3 (PS3), Nintendo’s Wii, and Microsoft’s XBOX 360. For more information, see our Borrowing Instructions for Special Collections policy.