3D Print on Demand Services
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to process 3D Printing requests at this time. Please contact Molly Kane at email@example.com with any questions.
Upper Dublin Public Library’s 3D printers are now available for printing three-dimensional objects by uploading a digital file through our 3D Print Order Form.
This service is available to users of all ages, however certain restrictions do apply.
UDPL’s 3D printers may be used only for lawful purposes.
Users are not permitted to print objects that are:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or pose a threat to the well-being of others. This includes, but is not limited to, explosives, guns, gun parts, and other weapons.
- Any use which may be considered salacious, lewd, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
- Any use which is in violation of another’s intellectual property rights. The printers may not be used to
reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection.
There are many different programs that can be used to create 3D files. Some of them are software programs that need to be installed on computers like AutoCad. Others, like Tinkercad, are run through the internet and can be used without installing anything onto a computer.
The UDPL Steam Lab recommends the following web-based programs to create 3D files:
- Tinkercad – allows you create files from scratch
- Thingiverse – a website dedicated to the sharing of user-created digital design files
To Submit a Design
- Fill out the online form and upload your file (Click here for the 3D Print Order Form). You will receive an immediate response that your order was received. This email will also contain directions on how to access our online credit card payment system. Once payment has been received, you will receive an email from a staff member with an estimated print time.
- Print times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Printing priority is based on a first come, first serve basis. Priority will be given to library programs or activities.
- Only one file may be submitted at a time for printing.
- The base print fee of $10 MUST be paid before an object can be printed. When you complete the order form, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access our online credit card payment system. Alternatively, you can pay in person at UDPL by check or cash. **Objects weighing over 50 grams will be charged an additional fee of $0.25 per gram due at the time of pick up.**
- A staff member will contact you once payment has been received. The staff member may ask you questions about your file and will give you an approximate print completion date. The staff member will also be able to give an approximate final weight of your object. If the estimated weight is over 50 grams, the staff member will help you decide if your object can be made smaller to avoid any additional fees.
- Depending on the size of the job and other uses of the printers, **print jobs will take a minimum of one week to be produced**. UDPL cannot do rush 3D print jobs.
- UDPL will notify you by email when your item is available for pick up.
- Objects unclaimed after 30 days may be discarded or recycled.
- Staff will do everything they can to ensure a successful print and will trouble shoot the mechanical aspects of printing your file.
- You may not receive a replacement print job if dissatisfied with color, scale, quality, design, or other options within your control. If your object isn’t as you envisioned, we encourage you to make changes to the design and submit a new print request.
- Please click here to read our full 3D Printer Use Policy.