Ongoing Adult Programs
Book Bunch Book Group
1st Monday of the month, 1:30-2:30 pm
This group, facilitated by Sara S., reading current fiction and non-fiction. New members always welcome!
- February 6, 2017: The dinner : a novel / Herman Koch
- March 6: My beloved world / Sonia Sotomayor.
- April 3: Everything I never told you / Celeste Ng.
- May 1: An object of beauty : a novel / Steve Martin.
- June 5: Brain on fire : my month of madness / Susannah Cahalan.
- July 3: Olive Kitteridge / Elizabeth Strout.
- September 11: The Wright brothers / David McCullough
- October 2: The obituary writer : [a novel] / Ann Hood
Wondering what we’ve read before? Check out our Book Bunch Book List.
History Book Group
1st Tuesday of the Month, 7:00-8:00p
This group, facilitated by Gary R., reads fiction and non-fiction books about history. New members always welcome. Upcoming books, especially those six months out, may change depending on group needs.
- February 7: The next 100 years : a forecast for the 21st century / George Friedman.
- March 7: Rubicon : the last years of the Roman Republic / Tom Holland.
- April 4: The life of Elizabeth I / Alison Weir.
- May 2: In the company of soldiers : a chronicle of combat / Rick Atkinson.
- June 5: A webinar of short specials on cyber warfare
Curious about what we’ve read before? Check out our History Book Group List.
Bookworms Book Group
1st Thursday of the Month, 7:15-8:15p
This group, facilitated by Lauren Smyth, reads current fiction and non fiction. New members always welcome!
- March 2: H is for hawk / Helen Macdonald. Led by Kay.
- April 6: Vanishing act / Thomas Perry. Led by Lauren.
Curious about what we’ve read before? Check out our Bookworms Book List.
ESL Conversation Groups
Afternoon Session: Every Tuesday, 1:30-3:00p
Evening Session: Every Wednesday, 7:00-8:30p
Are you interested in practicing your English in a safe, caring environment? Come to one of our Conversation Groups and improve your skills!
Afternoon Facilitators – Marlyn Cohen & Betsy Sternthal
Evening Facilitator – Mary Hennessy
No registration required.
One-On-One Tech Tutoring
For ages 18+
At a loss with your laptop? Want to throw your tablet? Problems with your phone? Would you like individual assistance from one of our patient tech tutors? Sign-up now for our one-on-one computer tutoring.
Please contact Kay Klocko at 215-628-8744 x3344 or 3334 or contact her via our website to schedule an appointment. Let us know what you need assistance on and when you’re generally available so we may match you to the appropriate tutor.
- A $5 donation to the friends will be required at session reservation for each session. All donations to the friends go to support the Library and its programs.
- Sessions will run for one hour. Only one reservation may be made at a time.
- We regret we are unable to assist with setting up computers, installing software & hardware or removing viruses & malware. Patrons may bring their own device in, or if it’s not portable, we currently have Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 machines, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 & iPads available for use during tutoring sessions.
- Since we will be working on your device, please note our Computing Assistance Policy & Waiver .
Entertainment & Creative Groups
Fabriholics Sewing and Embroidery Group
Our Makerspace has sewing machines, rotary cutters & nice tables and we’re going to use them! Take your projects on the road and enjoy company while you sew. No registration.
- 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 10:00-noon
- Special dates for December: 12/8 & 12/15
Upper Dublin Knitters
Every Thursday, 7:15-8:45p
Love yarn but don’t know how to knit? Having trouble with your current project or just want to knit with others? Join the UD Knitters @ the UDPL! Plus a 40+ year knitting instructor is always available to help you. Knitters and Crocheters are welcomed to our weekly get together. Please bring your own supplies and we will provide the company and conversation. For ages 16 yrs+.
No registration required.
Creative Writer’s Meetup Group
2nd Monday of the Month, 7-8p
Free! Please register.
Join us as we gather to share our experiences with writing during the month. We’ll share writing ideas and resources and offer encouragement. We’ll also take some time to do writing activities as a way to increase our spontaneity, gain energy and inspiration, and have fun together.
Sharing your writing? Please bring copies with you. We love to celebrate the positive in others’ work and to offer constructive feedback where invited. Also, bring your ideas for fun writing exercises to share!
For a Healthy You
Apprise Medicare Counseling
10a-1p (1 hour appointments available)
Sign-up for each week closes on the Monday of that of that week
UDPL is offering weekly appointments for Medicare Counseling with Apprise volunteers. The program is run by RSVP of Montgomery County. Apprise Counselors are state trained volunteers who can help you through the Medicare process. For information and for alternative locations and times, visit http://www.rsvpmc.org/content/apprise-medicare-counseling .
Sign up at the circulation desk or through our contact form. (Contact either Borrowing Services or Adult Services.) Appointments are required. Sign-up should be at least a week in advance, if possible.
Meet Representative Thomas Murt
On the Third Thursday of the month: come speak to a staff member of Representative Thomas Murt.
No registration required.